Electrical work is probably one of the hardest for the average homeowner to handle when it comes to DIY projects around the house. While electrical projects are generally safe when adjusted with the right level of proficiency and care, some local codes require a licensed electrician to handle most electrical work, however, the codes vary from state to state. Electricians will have the correct equipment with them as well as PPE to protect them when needed, e.g. insulating gloves, designed by Unigloves, which homeowners may not have which could put them at risk. To do electrical work safely, homeowners need to understand its ins and outs so they can get the proper materials, tools, and guidance on how to proceed.

Knowing exactly when to call an emergency electrician or handyman can save you a considerable amount of time and money. Since electrical work can be dangerous and mistakes can be costly, it’s essential to know the dos and don’ts of electrical work. Electrical rewiring is a serious business, so take the proper precautions when working around electricity. Follow these dos and don’ts to prevent an electrical accident:

Wires Too Short

If you’re doing electrical work around the house, carefully read the label on the wire socket or connector. Wiring too short is one of the most common mistakes homeowners make when doing electrical work. Making sure the right wire and the right length are used can make all the difference.

Use Wrong Wires

One of the most common mistakes is using the wrong wire size. While doing electrical work, most homeowners often make this mistake. While the mistake may seem minor, it can prove to be extremely dangerous. Sometimes, these mistakes can even cause fires. Besides, it also puts you at risk of getting electrocuted. Therefore, to avoid such dangerous situations, you should consider hiring a professional electrician that could make sensible decisions when it comes to the electrical components of your home. Nevertheless, to be on the safer side, you might also need to figure out if there are any Local fire restoration experts that you could immediately contact in case of emergency, such as an electrical fire.

Reversed Polarity

Reversed polarity is one of the common mistakes homeowners make when doing electrical work. To avoid this, make sure that you know whether you are working in “hot” or “neutral” wires. Do remember that hot is electrically charged and carries current from an outlet to a socket, whereas neutral is not electrically charged and carries current between two outlets.

Unsecured Outlets

If anyone ever tells you there’s no electrical work you can do without a licensed electrician, they’re either lying or don’t know what they’re talking about. There are plenty of home improvement projects you can do yourself. Also, there are plenty of ways to protect yourself from electrical shock when carrying out these jobs. One of the most important things to know when doing electrical work (even something as simple as changing a light bulb) is to be careful around electrical sockets and outlets. An unsecured outlet can be one of the most dangerous places when working around electricity, however, it isn’t the only thing you can accidentally electrocute yourself on.

Improper Junction Box

An improperly installed junction box is a mistake homeowners can make when undertaking electrical projects at home. These mistakes can cause problems with the wiring, posing a potential hazard to people and property. Knowing the steps to take when electrical work is being done is key to avoiding this common misstep.

Faulty Wire Connections

When doing electrical work yourself, it’s important to follow safety precautions. The project isn’t going to be finished if tragic injuries occur. Apparently, quite a number of homeowners are injured every year from faulty wiring. One common problem they is face faulty wire connections, which leads to short circuits. Another common issue is homeowners inadvertently touching live wires with their bare hands. These are just a few mistakes that can result in injury. If you’re doing electrical work yourself, do everything you can to stay safe.

Overloading Circuits

Overloading a circuit can happen when too many electrical devices are connected to the same circuit. This can cause the circuit to draw more energy than it is designed to, which can cause the wires to overheat and potentially start a fire. An overloaded circuit can also damage the wires and can lead to fires, so homeowners should be aware of the dangers it holds. In the event of an overloading circuit, it seems essential for homeowners to have it fixed as soon as possible with the help of a local electrician moorabbin (or wherever they may be located).

No GFCI installed

Installing GFCIs (ground fault circuit interrupters) in your home is one of the essential safety procedures you can perform. These receptacles (outlets) are used to shut off power in the home if a cord gets pinched or damaged or if a branch of electricity comes into contact with water. Unfortunately, GFCIs aren’t installed in every home, and this mistake is one of the most common homeowners make.

In terms of home maintenance, electrical work is one of the most dangerous things a homeowner can attempt. Not only can it spark a fire, but there are numerous types of electrical work that have fatal consequences, such as electrocution. Thus, it’s essential to know homeowners’ most common electrical mistakes and how to avoid them.